1862 Peninsula Campaign
Between April and May 1862, Lee Hall Mansion served as a headquarters for Confederate generals John B. Magruder and Joseph E. Johnston. From this location, they directed the defense of the Warwick-Yorktown line against Major General George B. McClellan's advancing Union Army. On May 4, 1862, a small skirmish was fought on the property as the Confederate Army retreated to Williamsburg. The lower Peninsula was occupied by Union forces until the end of the war.